Sunday, February 10, 2019

Introduction to "Innovator's Mindset"

The name of the class caught my attention as I scrolled down the list on the Baker University website.  I like to read and I like to think I creative, so it sounded like a great class to renew my teaching license.  After reading the introduction and watching the TedTalk by author George Couros I knew I had picked a good class.

One of the things that I strive to do as an educator is to provide my students with the best education I can give them.  Couros tells that this book is "all about how we can make the most of learning to create meaningful change and provide better opportunities in our schools."(Page 7)  Now this is a train I can get aboard!  I can't wait to explore resources and ways that I can work with my peers to engage students.

I am particularly interested in Part III of the book where we will dive into the reality of how we get others to change.  This is something that I'll be able to use in my job as an educator as well as my role as advisor and coach.  I am half way through my sixth year as an Agriculture Education Instructor and FFA Advisor.  Additionally, I have coached high school track and junior high volleyball.  I work with youth from preschool to seniors on a regular basis through school activities and community volunteer work.  I believe firmly in the idea that you have to set the example if you want people to follow and that actions are louder than words.  However, in year six I am starting to wear out and become less driven when it comes to bringing others along side me in making change.  It seems to be easier, with both my peers and students, to just do it myself instead of "drag" them along.  I can't wait to discover ways to engage those around me in conversation about change and inspire them to join the revolution.

On page 9 I found that the author and I share a mindset that it's not sure about "knocking a test out of the park" but about "kids being inspired to be better people because of their experiences."  Every day in my classroom it seems that a life lesson come into conversation. This take precedence over the lesson plan and I hope that I am teaching my students to think critically and in an innovative way to solve problems and not just telling them how to think and act.

I am excited to work through this book and blog my reactions and experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment