Thursday, February 21, 2019

Chapter 10- Less is More

I never thought that the day would come where I was the one needing help with students to figure out technology.  But it happened. My school is big on Google Drive and Chromebooks but there is a world of Google Apps for Education that I’ve never even heard of.  Using Google Drive allows me to see real time the progress of students and monitor give instant feedback. However, kids are finding the "hacks" around some of the best features like review history and making it more difficult to make sure they are doing their own work. I know that this is the area I need to get on board with and hate to admit that I just can’t make the time to get things online and off paper. I’m old school and still prefer reading a book from the library and not off a Kindle so it’s hard to accept that everything is moving that direction.  


As far as blogs go, I am leery of opinions over facts.  I think blogs are great way to “journal” for students but don’t like the idea of them being used in a science based learning environment.  I thought that Twitter was going to be a fad and it seems that it was a place for people to complain without having to face their problems.  It is the same as with blogs where people believe someone just because of who they are and don’t fact check to make sure they are even telling the truth.  While I can see some educational value (I use these where I teach about validity and fact checking) and have social media on a personal level, I don’t think it will become a prominent part of my classroom until students are taught that just because they say it online it doesn’t make it true.

No comments:

Post a Comment