Thursday, February 21, 2019

Chapter 4-Relationships

Relationships are the key to being a good teacher.  In a small town they are essential to being a true influence in the lives of the kids that walk into the building.

Do people often ask me for permission or guidance?

Students come into my room outside of class time to talk or will even call or text me when they need advice.  I have some teachers that bounce ideas off of me and ask for my thoughts on occasion.  When my students are faced with decisions they come to me for my "blessing" and not necessarily permission.  This is true of class scheduling, sports participation and even prom dates.  I have worked hard to cultivate relationships with my students and their parents over six years that allows me the special privilege to speak into their lives.

Have I created an environment where risks are not only encouraged by expected?

Standing with your hands in your pockets or sitting quietly will earn you a zero for participation in my classes.  It is the student that responds to questions, voices their opinions and thoughts that earns credit.  Even when the student is incorrect they are still engaged and that is what participation is about.

How have I highlighted the great work being done by our school to others in and out of the organization?

I love to show off what my students are doing to anyone that will listen.  Not only am a huge advocate for my classes and the FFA program but the music department, sports teams, drama club and any other community activity can periodically be seen as the focus of my bragging on social media or in conversations with friends and family.  I try to make it a point to not only support the student involved in these activities but also the coaches and teachers that lead them.

No comments:

Post a Comment